Saturday, July 28, 2012

Virtual Trips - Peru

Have you ever thought about using Virtual Trips in your classes or with your Friends?
I have been to Thailand, China, Jerusalem, and other places and have not spent a dime in visiting places...how can this can be? Well, Virtual Trips. Although I won't ever say that it is a replacement of a physical  experience, It can be an alternative for some people to learn about other places that it would  be difficult to visit. For example, a virtual trip to space, where we can actually talk with the astronauts while they are on duty!!...what an experience!
Also, I have presented several papers in a peer review conferences in a virtual style. How does that  work? Well, you can tape your self, or your presentation, and you can have live discussions or asynchronous discussions with the attendees. Isn't that fantastic? One of my favorites places to post virtual presentations is www.aace.org conferences. In this organization you can present virtual papers as well as a in-person presentation.
Today, it is July 28, for most of you, could be like any other day, but for me, it is special, I grew up in a wonderful country in South America, called Peru. On July 28, I have friends and family, and people in the streets, telling me "Feliz 28" Happy 28. It is the independence day. I left Peru in 1990, but I always have friends and family who still call me and connect with me to tell me "Feliz 28" and I do the same. I want to invite you to visit this country, right now, yes, right now, by watching this video...This video is divided in three sections
1) Costa = coast - that shows the culture, sounds and places of the coast, that is where I grew up...close to the beaches, and dancing Marinera (see the people dancing with white customs). I love Marinera, my heart races at the beat of its music. You can also see the Afro dances. A great combination of cultures in to one: Peruvian.
2) Sierra = Andean Areas. This is where my family settled first when they moved from Europe to Peru, so I can say, my heart is Andean. Most of the Andean People speak "Quechua", which is the language the Incas spoke before the Spanish people came to Peru. You will see the dances are  more colorful, with customs.. wonderful views, and of course....you will see Macchu Picchu...one of the wonders of the world...
3) Selva = Jungle. Oh my, I lived some years in the Jungle, it was one of the happiest moments in my life...eating the food, sharing moments with the natives, and understanding that life is unique when you are close to nature..
Peru...is a wonderful place-- watch it here:
http://youtu.be/r7QNZVwSSXk
Enjoy, and "Feliz 28!"

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! I loved my 10 minute vacation to Peru. I hope to visit in person one day. I was particularly drawn to the music and landscape of Sierra - stunning!! Feliz 28!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I am so excited to hear "Feliz 28" from you. Hope you can visit there in-person soon!...I enjoy my self today with Peruvian food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dr. Morote,
    I have also enjoyed the virtual trip to Peru too. I was enjoying the music, scenery, and culture that Peru had to offer. Speaking of Virtual Trips, I created a virtual trip to the planetarium in which I will explain the importance of using this type of educational technology in order to make an impact on student learning. In this virtual trip, I conducted an interview with a professor about the Robert L. Gibson Planetarium and how it’s used to integrate instructional technology. I also point out the different types of hardware that is used to teach the subject of astronomy, the different types of software that is used to teach astronomy, and the new emerging technologies that is used to incorporate the planetarium into the classroom.

    Here is a view of the conceptual mapping of this virtual trip.

    Here is a movie based on the Virtual Trip to the Planetarium.

    I also created a wikispaces page based on the Virtual Trip with both the pdf file of the conceptual mapping and the video embedded from teacher tube.


    Enjoy,

    Tim Quinn

    P.S. Here are the hyperlinks if the links within the blog doesn't connect:
    Teacher Tube:
    http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=269024&title=Virtual_Trip_to_the_Planetarium

    Concetual Map on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GaC_tNg71FZlNxcGkyVTVDYXM/edit

    Wikispaces:
    http://tquinn.wikispaces.com/Virtual+Trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim
    The video was very informative. I felt I was in the planetarium. Your last words were very catchy "To infinite and Beyond". I can see that the planetarium classroom or workshop area has not changed that much in 20 years. But of course the technology is helping teachers to instruct better. When you show us the computer, I was very impressed. I wish I have one of those when I was learning about the space and the starts. In addition, the conceptual map that you presented was very useful, in one look a person can know what exactly the video will be. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Morote,
      I am glad that you enjoyed your virtual trip to the planetarium. That is how I wanted you to feel that you are actually there. I can't take the credit for the phrase "To infinite and Beyond", that is all Buzz Lightyear from 'Toy Story'. It’s true that some of the hardware technology is still the same, but the software is advancing the use of the planetarium. I’m excited to see the new advancements at the Vanderbilt Planetarium when it reopens in October. Thank you for your compliment on the video and on the conceptual mapping in taking the virtual trip to the planetarium.
      Thank You,
      Tim

      Delete
  5. Tim
    The video was very informative. I felt I was in the planetarium. Your last words were very catchy "To infinite and Beyond". I can see that the planetarium classroom or workshop area has not changed that much in 20 years. But of course the technology is helping teachers to instruct better. When you show us the computer, I was very impressed. I wish I have one of those when I was learning about the space and the starts. In addition, the conceptual map that you presented was very useful, in one look a person can know what exactly the video will be. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is my virtual field trip for the School of One in NYC. I based it on the model's pilot session. After many attempts to contact administrators in the schools, I used a presentation/panel with the School of One's creator, Joel Rose. NYCBOE froze the program for this past year; however, it has received $5 million in funding to help expand it for 2012-2013.

    https://docs.google.com/presentation/pub?id=18BQXL3chWcQXkej18jb4AXMguBwZOEKgB4hvddB6XpE&start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

    For the conceptual map, I tried making an infographic. It was my first attempt at one, and I used Piktochart.com to create it. I figured it'd be good practice because infographics seem to be picking up much momentum in education (and educational publications).

    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Pjkwf1ZX3rWmFoNUo4RDgzNjg

    The model was very fascinating. One of the panel experts said, "You can't fake what you don't know in this model." That seems to be a big issue with the current educational system; students can skate by without understanding the material. I'm glad I didn't give up when no one returned my calls because the School of One, as long as it keeps its funding, will likely gain more attention.

    Take care, all!
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete