Friday, May 8, 2015

My first MOOC

I was invited by Ivan Shumkov, founder of the Open Online Academy, and Harvard Alumni President,  to prepare a course to be taught online in a massive way.

What is MOOC, you may ask. MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) was introduced to world in 2008, and emerged in 2012. It is an online course that it is usually free, and it aims to reach the maximum number of people. When I was invited by Ivan, I said yes!

He asked me how long will take me to prepare a 6 week class - one hour video each. Uhm I said, I prepare classes all the time. I would say I can do it in a month (using my free time).
I should have read the Chronicle of Higher Education before making that statement!

The Chronicle says "In 2013, the Chronicle of Higher Education surveyed 103 professors who had taught MOOCs. "Typically a professor spent over 100 hours on his MOOC before it even started, by recording online lecture videos and doing other preparation", though some instructors' pre-class preparation was "a few dozen hours." The professors then spent 8–10 hours per week on the course, including participation in discussion forums.[101]"

Then, my adventure begin, I prepared the outline, then I looked for the materials, I read books, I check the competition,..and I wanted to write my own e-book "From Bragging to Branding" - which is now  a draft!- It won't be ready by Monday...but I can live with it.

Hello? how many hours do you think I have used just to prepare this!

The name of the class is PERSONAL BRANDING FOR SOCIAL  NETWORKS

Now, let's talk about technology! This class is delivered by videos...Quality of the videos is very important...!!! and not only the video but the audio..it seems that people can be fine with the videos but cannot stand a bad audio...

 I gave my word, so I have to deliver the best possible! -  Ivan sent me links with suggestions about a good camera a microphone. The best are sold in a store call B&H. The closest to my area is the one in Manhattan. Meaning two hours trip just going there.

Ivan called me, and told me, that we need the commercial for the class. He offered to work with me on this, but I really wanted to do something spectacular using my skills or learning how to do it.

Because  I live on Long Island, I have to go all over to Manhattan to buy a camera and microphone from B&H. Surprise! B&H is run by an  Orthodox Jewish group, and they were in Jewish Holidays. The store was closed!. So my trip to Manhattan, ended with Ivan taping me - my first commercial. I did not have any make up, and I was dress like going to the park. That will be fine for any class, but the class is about BRANDING!!!!- Ivan values teachers who look natural, so he encouraged me to do it. He is the expert so I did.
check out the video https://www.ooed.org/learn/personal-branding-for-social-networks-summer-2015
Click on the cube. I have asked people how I look, all have been kind and tell me that I look great...really? Did you see my hair? I try to ask Ivan to delete it, but he also says that It looks great.

Ok. I guess just the thought people will see me I wanted to look a little better!- I also did a little research and I bought a Green Screen and two lights. I converted my living room in a studio. and It will stay like this for the next 6 weeks. No visitors. So what's the Green Screen for?

The Green screen is to change the background in anything that I want, videos, PowerPoint or pictures. I also realized that my laptop computer is not good enough for this videos, editing take for ever. For those who know me, they know I can't wait for ever! So I did more research and I bought my IMAC. yep! that's on my living room as well.

After buying the equipment online, and waiting for some days I have my camera and microphone!- I went to the Saloon, they did my hair and make up-- Oh, I know I know, I wanted to look great at least for the commercial.

And I re- did my two minute commercial for my own pleasure. and here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D9sKjfw-Os - this is my very first video!! - not bad, right?

I want to give you an idea on how long time this is taking -- a 3 minute video, have taken me at least 4 days. My second set of videos took me 2 1/2 days, and my third set of 10 videos, 5 minutes each-- I am hoping 3 days. Working day and night. This is really an adventure. I am not going to the Saloon or doing special make up anymore. But I tried to look good.

What is MOOC for me?= Preparing, Taping, Editing, and Delivering. This is what I called my P-TED! in referring to the famous TED videos that I wish one day be on one of those. I already participating as volunteer translating videos for them. But that's another story for another day.

The class begins on May 11, 2015 - so far I have 500 students, and it seems that in the last two days it will go to 1000! this will be a great experience for me. The class is free for the public. So you can take it! the link is https://www.ooed.org/learn/personal-branding-for-social-networks-summer-2015
I chose to go back to my roots and teach a course in the entrepreneurship area. A course, that it is also related with technology- specifically social media. The name of the course is PERSONAL BRANDING FOR SOCIAL NETWORKS. It will run for next 6 weeks

I will be blogging about my experience as it goes.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment